Tuesday, September 23, 2014

3 reasons why you must know fashion trends to know what to buy or NOT to buy at thrift stores

By Tenisha Mercer
www.BargainistasATL.blogspot.com

Source: Kate's Real Food
I'm a die hard thrift store shopper ... but I also keep my finger firmly on today's fashion pulses.

Here are three reasons why I still shop at retail stores, in addition to thrift stores: 

1. I like my wardrobe to look current, not dated. Now, let me say this up front: I'm not a huge vintage shopper. Sure, I like vintage designs, but vintage clothes don't rule my closet because I prefer more chic, trendy attire that's on-trend. 

If you like vintage, then a thrift store is, indeed, your best friend. But be careful: $2 and $3 pricetags can be intoxicating and, if you aren't careful, you can walk out of there feeling like you stepped back in time.

I go to thrift stores so that I know what NOT to buy. Usually, thrift stores are at least a few fashion cycles behind; you usually don't see things filtering down to thrift stores until a season or two after they come out (though there are always exceptions to that rule).

 There are certain styles, even if they are designer, that may have had their moment 10, 20 years, ago, but I just don't want now, as in the shoes below. These shoes are early 2000ish -- and the long, pointy toes look like it. Aim for a more classics; If pointy stilletos are a must, aim for those that are classic and will, theoretically always remain in style.
 
Source: Looking Fly on a Dime

 You can quickly spot the designer outcasts of fashion -- the Fubu and RocaWear clothing, jeans from the 200ish area with the good awful green denim wash, bright rayon jackets that clearly look like they came from the 1990s). You get the idea. These are the things I don't want buy thrift because I don't want my wardrobe looking too dated, like I walked out of a 90s or an early 2000-ish fashion catalog.

Bottom line: If you keep seeing cast offs of the same clothing or designer (Baby Phat, anyone?) constantly in thrift stores, then chances are it's out of style; that's why it keeps turning up at thrift stores because folks don't want it in their closet, either.

Seeing those $2 and $3 price tags is so tempting. But don't. Just don't, or you'll be donating it back to thrift stores

Bottom line: Don't buy someone else's junk.


2. I want to know what's in style. Now, I know that vintage-y clothing is in style -- and I know that because I'm constantly flipping through fashion mags and going into trendy stores like H&M, Express, Forever21, Bebe, etc., to find out what's hot.

What I do though, is take the look and try to emulate it at a thrift store for much less. 

And that's why I refuse to pay brand new prices for items that look like I could pull them off a rack at a thrift store. Usually, vintage items like the sheer tops that are in style today that were in during the 80s and 90s, or even the retro knits that are so in style now, usually have SOME element that has changed, so be careful.

Make sure you try them on and examine carefully, because even the colors are off a lot of times, depending upon the decade (the 80s were a time where a weird God awful beige reigned, but that color is no longer in style) so stick to basic colors.

There's a difference between 2014 chunky heels and 1990 chunky heels; know the difference. Everything that's a bargain ain't really a bargain.

When you're buying clothes, fit is key. Sure,you can get over with the right vintage fit, but make sure that you don't combine too many vintage items or you'll instantly look dated. Do a vintage top with a modern blazer.

I like to accessorize with vintage jewelry and accessories like belts, etc., because:

Source:BlacDetroit.com

1. They're cheaper
2. They're often made much better quality wise than new-trying-to-look-vintage accessories that are sold today.  If I can get a piece that looks like it might be from Stella & Dot, yet it's much cheaper, why not get the real thing?

Bottom line: Shop retail so you know to spot a good deal thrift. 


3. I like to know what I'm saving. There's nothing like going to a thrift store and walking out with a bag that costs $20 and knowing you'd be lucky to get away with one thing at a retail store for the same amount. It puts a whole new perspective on saving cash. You shop a lot differently this way.

There are plenty of times where it absolutely pays to thrift. Have you noticed how 90s grunge and plaid are back? A plaid shirt is a plaid shirt. I'd much rather pay $5 for it in the men's section of the thrift store than $25-$30 brand new.

And while high-waisted jeans are all the rage and are uber trendy, they are the perfect item to buy thrift: God knows how long they'll be in style. Snag a pair that you can fit and you'll be out of what, $5-6 bucks at the most?

I love making a few alterations to make things a bit more fashion froward. If you've got some basic DIY skills - those slouchy sweatshirts that all the girls wear that cost $40-50 a pop can be remade for much less. You  can take a good sweatshirt from Goodwill and with a pair of scissors and a black marker, turn it into an on trend slouch sweatshirt for less.

Bottom line: Thrift smartly, so you can truly save on old trends that are new again. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment