Monday, September 29, 2014

Shopping at garage sales: 5 ways to save big bucks

By Tenisha Mercer
www.BargainistasATL.Blogspot.com 


Thrifting is just one of my bargain hunting passions.

I like to cut out the middleman whenever possible -- even if that's Goodwill --- and a good way to do that is with garage sales. Remember, a thrift store is going to put their markup on their items. And I find garage sales are a great way to score even better deals for less than thrift. 


Found these pair of Michael Kors shoes for $3
I find super awesome deals this way -- Michael Kors' shoes for $3; a vintage, genuine Louis Vuitton duffle bag for $5, a new, unopened bottle of Cartier perfume, a box of new Calphalon cookware for $10, a used Dyson vacuum for $15 -- even better deals than many thrift stores. The deals are endless!

And those aren't the best deals I've heard of: Just a few weeks ago, a friend recently scored an authentic Louis Vuitton bag for $2 in a million-dollar subdivision after the owner said, it's "last" season; she'd just missed a Chanel bag.

With fall here, though, the end of garage sale season is quickly approaching; you've only got a few weeks or so to wring the best deals out of this garage sale season, which typically starts in April and lasts through October (garage sale seasons vary by climate).

Here are a few tips to get you started: 



1. Go early. Most sales usually happen from 8 a.m.-noon or 8 a.m.-2 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. The best deals happen on Fridays early in the mornings, if you can pull off going then. I try to dedicate my mornings to a few sales on Friday mornings, and then head to work. And it's best to get there early. I've been known to pull up at a garage sale as they unloaded.

But what about Saturday sales? It's the weekend, right? If you want good deals, you need to set the alarm clock and get up! Some super garage sale shoppers show up 30 minutes before a sale, but I don't recommend that, because it's just ... creepy and can freak sellers out. Arriving 10 minutes before a sale starts allows you to get a good preview and snap up deals first.

I've gotten my best deals by being there just a bit early before folks start rolling in. Remember, you're competing with folks who are doing the very same thing you are doing ... trolling for good deals. I've seen antique and vintage furniture store owners also go to garage sales, so be aware. You aren't the only one scouting for a good deal! 

Bottom line: Rolling up at 9 a.m. or 10 a.m. after you've sipped on Starbucks isn't a way to handle a garage sale. The early bird gets the best deals, so take that Starbucks to go and sip as you shop! You can also score good deals if you time your shopping right as a sale wraps up. Folks don't feel like lugging their stuff back to their garages so they'll cut you an even better deal on the last day of a garage sale.

Source
 2. Go with a strategy. It's so tempting ... all those deals. But it's like finding a needle in a haystack if you go all willy nilly. Map out where you are going to go, and when. After all, you are spending your weekend doing this. May as well maximize your time and your savings. 

The night before, or the morning of, I look at garage sales on the free weekly circulars or craigslist.com. There are also garage sale apps. I particularly like multi-family garage sales because there are even more chances to find bargains -- times 10.

I like to get a general idea of where I'm going, dress lightly (in case you need to try on anything over your clothes) and then head out early.  Lately, I've been looking for home decor, so I'm on the look out for that. Act quickly, though. As soon as you hesitate o or fail to pick up an item you are thinking about it, some other buyer will quickly snap it up.

Bonus tip: Never ever judge a garage sale just by curb appeal. You have to actually get out the car and go in the driveway, basement (folks open their basements or inside their homes and these are the BEST), garage or front lawn to really see what goodies you'll find. I can't count how many times I've pulled up and tried to get a view from the curb. It just doesn't work. You have to go and see. 

Source
3. Decide what you want to buy. You'll see all kinds of good deals at garage sales, but that doesn't mean you should purchase all of them -- or you'll soon be the one holding a garage sale! A $10 Total Gym (I scored this) isn't a good deal if you never work out. Figure out what you want to buy before you head out. That way,  you'll know what you're looking for. If you're not looking for children's clothing, for example, don't spend tons of time at sales with nothing but kids' clothing. It's a waste of time - and you could be out there finding the deals you really want.


Figure out what you want -- and then keep an eye out for it. Prepare for the unexpected by keeping twine, bungie cords and rope to secure home decor items in your trunk to secure your larger purchases. Certain things shouldn't be bought at a garage sale, like baby cribs, car seats and helmets, due to possible safety recalls. But everything else is fair game as long as you aren't icked out by it (I AM icked out by cat hair, and I'll do almost anything to avoid it ... unless it's a super good deal). Oh, and if you've got a truck, use it. I'd buy a ton of furniture and other items if only I had hauling capabilities. But I don't.

4 . Pick upscale neighborhoods. The best items are in the better neighborhoods. Why? Folks in the upper income range simply want to get rid of their stuff most times; they aren't necessarily looking to make a big profit from the sale. And this is what  you want. I really hate to categorize by socioeconomic group, but can I be honest: The best items I've found are usually sold in upper income subdivisions.This is where you want to go, so scout accordingly.

You'll find people in a higher income range constantly redecorate -- and this is where you come in. These folks will almost pay you to take their stuff away from them and they just want it GONE! I'm happy to take their "junk."

Some of my best finds have come from million dollar subdivisions. The deals are better ... and the quality is higher. You'll also see less stuff for $2-3 but, while priced higher, they are often better deals overall.

I can instantly tell if I'll be able to find good stuff by looking at the seller. If she's wearing stylish stuff first thing in the morning, I know I'm going to score!  That also works in reverse: If a seller has stuff they've stored in their garage for 50 years, odds are they are going to have to call the donation truck because I'm probably not going to buy a whole lot of it.

5. Don't be afraid to haggle. Garage sale prices aren't set in stone -- they usually are cute stickers, after all. All you have to do is ask if the seller will take less than the advertised price. . All they can do is say 'no,' and you can also ask for volume discounts. This isn't Macy's.
Source

If you are already getting a bargain, though, I just pay what's asked and I'm glad to take it off their hands. I've seen everything in garage sales -- from chintzy plastic containers to $900 patio sets (regular $2,300) and even motorcycles and cars.

Sometimes, things are overpriced, often because the owner has an emotional connection to them. Take a quick look around and move on.

What are your best garage sale tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment